Last year, Buzzfeed published 23 ways for living with a roommate – here are our top eight!
1. Communication is huge. You’re adults, not mind readers — if something needs to be said, just say it.
Don’t be passive aggressive by leaving notes, make sure that you take the time to talk things out. It will pay off in the long run.
2. You aren’t obligated to hang out together all the time.
Keep yourselves sane, and your relationship strong.
3. Discuss what food, if any, you want to share.
There’s nothing worse than waking up and finding out that all of your cereal is gone. Make sure that there is a code when it comes to food in the apartment.
4. Good friends do not always make good roommates. Good roommates do not always make good friends.
Don’t let a living situation ruin your friendship. Think long and hard before moving in with a good friend.
5. Send a text if you are having guests over.
You never want to come home to random people in your home, and vice versa. Your home is your safe place and you want to make sure that you are both comfortable there at all times.
6. Be aware of your own habits on a daily basis.
Its not just you anymore, if you like to leave the dishes in the sink all week before you do them – it might be time to change that habit.
7. It’s easier to accept that people are going to live how they want to than try to change how they live.
Some quirks are better left untouched. Rather than get frustrated with them,accept them and continue to do your own thing before you lose your mind about how the toilet paper is rolled.
8. Act like your parents are visiting/landlord is inspecting/you’re bringing a date home at least once a week.
No body wants to live with a messy person. It doesn’t have to be spotless but don’t let it look like an episode from Hoarders.